Adopting from Bulgaria appeals to families looking for stable and predictable program. Prospective adoptive parents are often drawn to country programs with consistent wait times, so they can better predict how long they may wait to receive a referral. Families adopting from Bulgaria with MLJ Adoptions can expect to wait between 12-24 months from dossier submission to receiving a referral.
Of our Bulgaria families who have submitted dossiers and are currently waiting to be matched:
- 9% have been waiting longer than 24 months
- 31% have been waiting in the 12-24 month window
- 60% have been waiting less than 12 months
Of our families who have been matched with a child or sibling group:
- 15% have waited longer than 24 months
- 60% have waited in the 12-24 month window
- 25% have waited under 12 months
- Families who adopted from the Waiting Child List are not included in this data, as their time frames were significantly shorter
This information is only reflective of families who submitted dossiers prior to May 1, 2017, so families who are currently working on their home study or dossier are not included. As with any country, time frames in our Bulgaria program could change at any time.
This year we have seen the following referrals in our Bulgaria program:
- Biological Siblings, male age 6, male age 4, female age 3 – 12 month wait
- Biological Siblings, male age 7, female age 5, male age 3 – 8 month wait
- Female Child, 1.5 years – 19 month wait (This family was open to more significant special needs)
- Female Child, 1.5 years – 24 month wait
Each family’s time frame is dependent on the characteristics of the child who they are hoping to adopt, the children who are legally free for adoption, and the other families waiting to be matched with a child. Families who adopt from Bulgaria are able to indicate what specific needs they are open to. If they are seeking to adopt children with fewer known needs, they will likely wait longer to be matched with a child.
We’ve been told by our in-country staff that families open to adopting three children, up to the age of eight, will likely experience short time frames, which is consistent with the referrals we’ve received this year. We are beyond excited that less than halfway through the year, eight children have been referred to families in our Bulgaria Adoption Program!
For more information about adopting from Bulgaria, please contact us.